This is an article in a series of articles describing each objective to meet the requirements for the 2019 Medicaid Promoting Interoperability Objectives. You can access the other objectives by clicking the corresponding links below.
- Objective 1: Protect Patient Health Information
- Objective 2: Electronic Prescribing <---
- Objective 3: Clinical Decision Support
- Objective 4: Computarized Provider Order Entry
- Objective 5: Patient Electronic Access To Health Information
- Objective 6: Coordination Of Care Through Patient Engagement
- Objective 7: Health Information Exchange
- Objective 8: Public Health And Clinical Data Registry Reporting
Objective: EPs must generate and transmit permissible prescriptions electronically, and eligible hospitals and CAHs must generate and transmit permissible discharge prescriptions electronically (eRx).
EP Measure: More than 60 percent of all permissible prescriptions written by the EP are queried for a drug formulary and transmitted electronically using CEHRT.
- Denominator: Number of prescriptions written for drugs requiring a prescription in order to be dispensed other than controlled substances during the EHR reporting period; or number of prescriptions written for drugs requiring a prescription in order to be dispensed during the EHR reporting period.
- Numerator: The number of prescriptions in the denominator generated, queried for a drug formulary, and transmitted electronically using CEHRT.
- Threshold: The resulting percentage must be more than 60 percent in order for an EP to meet this measure.
- Exclusions: Any EP who: (1) writes fewer than 100 permissible prescriptions during the EHR reporting period; or (2) does not have a pharmacy within their organization and there are no pharmacies that accept electronic prescriptions within 10 miles of the EP's practice location at the start of his or her EHR reporting period.
We are adopting Objective 2: Electronic Prescribing at § 495.24(d)(2)(i) for EPs and § 495.24(d)(2)(ii) for eligible hospitals and CAHs. We further specify that in order to meet this objective and measures, an EP, eligible hospital, or CAH must use the capabilities and standards of as defined for as defined CEHRT at § 495.4. We direct readers to section II.B.3 of this final rule with comment period for a discussion of the definition of CEHRT and a table referencing the capabilities and standards that must be used for each measure.
This is met with the Purchased Ability of ePrescribe (eRx).
You can verify your progress with this in Reports > Measure Calculation > Electronic Prescribing (60% or higher is passing)