Installing the Server MacPractice Application
Whether the planned server is a new computer or an existing MacPractice client terminal, you will need the following:
- A current backup: The MacPractice Backup guide can assist with creating a backup. This backup should be transferred to the new server.
- A MacPractice Server Installation: This can be obtained from www.macpractice.com/download. The Installing MacPractice on the Server guide can assist with the installation process.
- Plenty of free hard disk space: At the bare minimum, we recommend you have three to five times the size of the current backup on the destination server, with more space definitely preferred. This is to accommodate reconstructing the database from the current backup, and accommodating room for future backups and the growth of your database. For questions on this front, please contact MacPractice Support.
The Security Password Required window will appear if the server has been restarted. This password is the Encryption Security password that was created during the initial installation of MacPractice. Enter the password and click the OK button.
The resulting Operating System authentication window may request the computer's Administrator username and password again.
In the resulting window, locate the MacPractice database to be restored and click Open. You may be asked to create a new database. This prompt simply is saying it will be creating a new database from the backup we have selected. If you receive this prompt, click the Continue button.
A warning will pop up, verifying that the database will be restored. There is a check box to affirm whether or not this restoration is for the main production database.
If the box is checked, when Restore is clicked, another pop up will appear, alerting that the database restoration will keep its current settings.
If the box is unchecked, the following information will not be brought forward when restoring the backup:
- Autoremind User
- eStatement Password
- Medavant PP Password
- Demandforce Configuration information
- UpDox Faxing user and password
- Direct Messaging user information
- Phone numbers and e-mails for all patients
Once the restoration process starts, do not force quit while MacPractice is restoring.
Authentication may be required during this process.
Connecting Clients to the New Server
Click the MacPractice icon on the computer's Dock to open the MacPractice Login window. From the Login window, open the Drawer and enter in the IP Address of the MacPractice Server computer along with the name of the MacPractice database.
Each MacPractice terminal will need to be paired with the MacPractice Server using a passcode presented on the device. When a MacPractice terminal attempts to connect to the MacPractice Server, a 4 digit passcode is generated and remains open for 60 minutes. Print the instructions, which include the passcode and the expiration time.
On the MacPractice Server, add the passcode in Preferences > Database Access as shown in the printed instructions. The device will be added to the Database Access list and paired with the MacPractice Server.
If you experience difficulties connecting the MacPractice Client to the MacPractice Server, please see the MacPractice Network documentation.