To export patient information into Excel, follow the steps below:
- Go to Reports, select the report node in the sidebar, then click the triangle to the left of this to see your list of reports. Select the desired report from the provided list of reports. You can use almost any report to bring up a list of information in your practice.
NOTE: Most of the MacPractice reports have a Make List or Export button. Those reports that do not have these button will not be able to be exported.
- Create a List by clicking on the Make List button in the bottom right corner. The List node will be named after the report that was chosen, such as Patients by Age, Treatment Plans, and so on.
You also can create a List of all patients by dragging the Patients node from the sidebar of the Patient ability into the drawer (as illustrated below). This process is simpler and less time consuming than running the report. However, the report provides more filtering options.
- Next, open the Drawer and click the List tab. The drawer button is the last button in the row of buttons in the far lower left hand corner of your MacPractice window. You may need to resize your screen to view the drawer if the MacPractice window is maximized.
- Under the List tab, select the list title you just created and click the Export button.
- A small window will pop up that will allow you to select and/or modify an existing preset or create a new one. The default preset will report First Name, Last Name, Address, Suite, City, State, Zip, Phone, Carrier, Birthday, Sex, Last Visit and SSN. If you wish to use a new export preset, please see the documentation on Creating an Export Preset. In the pop-up menu on the right you can select from Tab Delimited, CSV or Pipe Delimited. Tab Delimited separates fields into columns, while the CSV option will allow you to separate fields by commas and the Pipe Delimited separates the fields with the pipe sign. Make your selection, then click Export.
- A new window will appear enter a name for the information you are exporting. If you wish to change the location the information is going to save you can use the Where menu to select the location or you can open the advance view to path to the desired location. With this information selected and/or adjusted click the save button.
- Open Excel and go to File and select Open (or use the Command-O keyboard shortcut) to open the exported file. Once you have made your selection, the Text Import Wizard will start. Simply double clicking on the file to open it will skip the Import Wizard, so you will need to open the file from within Excel.
- When the Text Import Wizard pops up, make sure the Delimited box is checked, then click Next. In the following window, under Delimiters, place a check in the Tab box. If you exported using CSV, place the check in the Comma box, then click Next. In the last window, click Finish.
NOTE: If, on the last window, you happen to have zeros at the beginning of the zip codes, you will need to select the zip code column in the Data Preview window, select Text under the Column Data format and then click Finish in order for the zero to pull through to Excel.