Printable forms - statements, claim forms, care slips, address labels, prescription forms, and so on - can be managed in the References Ability > Forms. This documentation covers the following topics:
- Activating and Setting a Default Form
- Printing on a Red/Preprinted Claim Form
- Care Slips/Encounter Forms
- Statement Forms
- Form Builder
Activating and Setting a Default Form
There are many operations in MacPractice that require setting a default form before proceeding, such as printing insurance claims, statements, treatment plans, orders, and so on. To set a default form, go to the References ability and select Forms in the sidebar. Click the triangle to the left of the node to view the list of forms. Find the desired default form - the forms node can be searched by using the sidebar search field. In the example below, the search for "Statement" found all statement forms.
After locating the form, activate it by clicking the Form Active checkbox.
Save the changes in the Edit menu by selecting Save Record, or by using the Command-S keyboard shortcut.
After activating the form, go to the MacPractice menu > Preferences and select Forms in the sidebar. In the Default Forms tab select the form from the relevant menu. For example, to set the default treatment plan form, select a form in the Default Treatment Plan menu.
The changes will be saved automatically when the Preferences window is closed. The default forms are set globally, which means changing them on one computer will change them on all other computers in the office.
- Go to References > Forms and select the form to be used for claims (ex. CMS-1500 (02/12) NPI Only).
- Go to the Edit menu at the top of the screen and select the option to "Duplicate Record". This will make a copy of the claim form. It is suggested to add "preprinted" or "red" to the form name to differentiate it.
- Uncheck the box for "Print Graphic (Form Background)" as this will prevent the background of the form from printing and will only print the claim information.
- Save the changes.
That claim form will now be available to select in the claim creation window when necessary.
If there are certain insurance companies that always require the preprinted forms, the form that was created from the steps above can be set as the default form for that insurance:
- Go to References > Insurance Companies.
- Select the insurance company that requires the preprinted claim forms.
- Go to the Claims tab and set the Default Form to the preprinted form.
- Save the changes.
Now all claims for that insurance company will default to that form.