It is possible to to condense your list of Insurance Companies in MacPractice, in order to remove duplicate or redundant entries. If you have duplicate insurance companies, you can transfer one insurance company, and its associated patients, into a plan under another insurance company. If there is a company that was entered in error, it can also be removed completely.
PLEASE NOTE: You can only merge or remove an insurance company if there are no outstanding claims for that particular company. To check this, you can go to References > Insurance Companies. Click on the triangle next to the Insurance Companies node in the sidebar, and select the company.
Open the drawer, by clicking the button in the lower left corner of the MacPractice window. Select the Report tab, and choose Outstanding Claims in the drop down. Make sure there are no start or end dates entered, and click Apply.
You will see a list of outstanding claims to this particular insurance company. If there are any patients listed, you will need to either wait until those claims are paid/closed, or temporarily close them by going to the patient's ledger, selecting the claim and going to Other > Set Claim Status/Paid Closed.
NOTE: If you do close any claims, you may want to make a note of them so they can be re-opened once you are finished merging insurance companies. To mark a claim open, select it on the ledger and go to Other > Set Claim Status Accepted (you can also set them to Sent or Rejected if needed).
Once you are ready to move the insurance company, and there are no longer outstanding claims associated to it, you can do the following:
- Go to References > Insurance Companies
- In the sidebar, highlight the company you wish to keep, which is the one you will merge the duplicates into.
- Click on the Plans tab.
- From the sidebar, drag the duplicate company to the Plan Name table.
To remove an insurance company that wasn't used and entered in error, you can do the following:
- Go to References > Insurance Companies.
- In the sidebar, highlight the company you wish to remove.
- Click on the red minus button at the top of the sidebar.
- Select to either delete or archive the record when prompted.