You can use the Refunds Report to find payments (either insurance or patient payments) that were refunded during a given date range, or to find payments posted during a selected date range that have been refunded.
This documentation contains the following sections:
- Select Providers/Select Offices: You can use these filters to show only refunds associated with the selected providers/offices. This filter is based on the provider and office listed in the refunded payment:
- Start/End Date: If you do not wish to use the pop-up menu to automatically populate the start and end date, you can manually enter a date range here.
- Showing: Today/This Month/This Year: You can use this pop-up menu to automatically populate the Start/End Date fields to run the report for the current date, the last month, or from January first of the current year.
- Use Refund Date/Use Payment Posted Date: You can use these radio buttons to choose to filter the report based on the date the refund was issued (Use Refund Date), or the date the payment was originally entered into the computer (Use Payment Posted Date).
- Refund Date: This is the date associated with the refund. This defaults to the date the refund was posted, but can be edited in the refund window, as illustrated below.
- Primary Last, First: The first column lists the name listed in the Primary tab of the patient's account, last name first.
- Account #: The Account # column lists the MacPractice account number associated with the refund.
- Refund Amount: This column lists the dollar amount of the refund, as entered in the Refund window.
- Reference #: The Reference # column displays the reference number for the refund.
- Payment Amount: This column lists the total amount of the original payment. Unless the whole payment was refunded, this number will be larger than the Refund Amount column.
- Payment Date: The final column lists the date the original payment was entered into the computer. It is important to note that this is the posted date of the payment, not the procedure date associated with the payment.
- Refunds to Patients: These refunds do not show on this report. Please see the Negative Adjustment report instead.
- Refunds to Providers: These refunds do not show on this report. Please see the Provider Adjustment report instead.
- Refunds to Insurance: There may be times when the insurance company simply wishes you to refund payments or overpayments directly to the company. To issue a standard insurance company refund, do not click either the Refund to Provider or Refund to Patient checkboxes in the insurance refund window.
This report may not match the Gross Receipts, even when running it for the same date range based on the payment date. This is because Gross Receipts looks at all refunds and reversals while Refund report only looks for patient and insurance payments refunded to the original payee.